You'll be the same person 10 years from now,
except for the books you read and the people you meet.
~Charlie "Tremendous" Jones
I was thinking about where I've come over the last five years.
It is a mile stone after all -- five years out of high school this spring.
While sweating and laboring (literally) over a class project this last week, my professor, Dr. B, with a grin, asked me if I'd ever thought I'd be doing something like this for school.
"I never thought I'd be going to school in Kentucky," I replied, gritting my teeth as I stepped hard on a shovel, penetrating the hard clay and gravel with a satisfactory thud.
Then he wanted to know how I came to Asbury. It was one of those "pause" moments. One where something hits you and your pace is disrupted and stops you - like a power-walker who gets bumped off her treadmill.
Pausing from work, I leaned on the handle of my flat-edge shovel and looked over the senior and boarder field, where my horse Diamond was calmly grazing with his buddy Foreigner. The green hills beyond, sunlit, looked so picturesque.
"God brought me here."
I stepped back on that shovel. Dug in and shoved it under the chunk of clay and then heaved it into a wheel barrow.
Five years ago I wasn't ready to head out. I knew I wanted to do something with horses and writing. I didn't exactly know what or where. When I found out that Asbury, a Christian University, was offering a equine journalism program (only starting last fall), I was ready. I said, "Okay God - it looks like you prepared it for me."
So I came.
And here I'm.
Where will I be in 2016? Who will I have met? Where will I have gone? What books will I have read?
No comments:
Post a Comment