Here it is Saturday. Looking back over my week, I find myself sighing and feeling dazed.
One week and two days ago -Thursday the 19th I believe - I arrived here in Wilmore Kentucky with dad, mom and sister. The first place I went here on campus was to the big, stately and impressive Kinlaw Library, to the Orientation Fair, and met more faces than I can remember names! I moved into my room (223 Crawford) in the Glide-Crawford building. I met my RD Julie, my RA Beraka and my roommate Julia. Then there was lunch, meetings here and meetings there, dinner and then games in the soft-ball field and meeting the members of my assigned T.A.G group #16 .... that was the fullest day I had spent in a long time.
Because my roommate's mom was to be spending the night in dorm room 223 and the sweet cottage my parents were renting for the weekend had room, I spent my first night in Wilmore in a peaceful, calm cottage down the street from the school.
It was good.
The next morning, I awoke to my alarm. The trip, the stress of moving, the bombardment of new faces and information overload caught up with me.
I bawled.
I did not think I could go through with the it.
I wanted to go home.
After talking to my parents. I came up with a plan. I skipped Friday morning orientation-stuff (figured I'll figure it out later...) and went straight to the registrar's office, the financial aid office, back to the registrar's office and to my admission adviser. I got my questions answered. With my dad's help I was able to map-out, so to speak, my next two years here. It felt good.
Then came Saturday. More orientation. More moving in and unpacking. More TAG group.
BUT! My first opportunity to go to the barn came Saturday afternoon! Here at Asbury, people reach out not just through missions but through ordinary every day things. This particular evening the entire student body was going to volunteer around the town for 3 hours. I signed up and eagerly went to the Asbury University Equine Center! Others cleaned the city park, painted at a church, played games at a nursing home and still others did ... well...other stuff. At the barn I helped repair fences! :-D There are four babies here. They are the sweetest fillies and colt! The barn is beautiful. I promise I will post some photos soon!
Then that evening, one week ago, I said good-bye to dad, mom and Steph. They left early (?) the next morning.
I was officially on my own.
Sunday I went to TAG group activities and worship and more TAG group activities.
I can't put more details because I can't remember more details! This week has gone by quite quickly.
I can't say it has been easy, because it hasn't. I want to be here. I know this where God wants me. It has been a transition - with its sweet spots and its bumps. I have cried - cried more than I ever have! The week before coming as well as this week has been an emotional roller-coaster. One moment I am so excited about attending Asbury and living Kentucky. The next moment I feel so overwhelmed and want the comfort of home and the familiar. (I really miss my mom's hugs!) I didn't experience such a roller-coaster of emotions even when in jr. high or highschool! But, I know this is where I need to be (and want to be!) and would appreciate your prayers as I go through this time in my life.
Class schedule:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - I have Understanding Old Testament at 8am. I have a Journalism and Culture class at 9am. Following the journalism class I have Chapel at 10am. After Chapel my M/W/F are free for homework or job if I am successful!
Tuesdays and Thursdays - I have Math and Technology at 8am. Then I have Journalism Practicum at 9:25pm only on Tuesdays. Later, on both Tuesday and Thursday, I have Western Civilization at 12:45pm. Sadly my PE class Riding is only on Tuesdays at 3:30pm.
So far I have attended one week of classes and believe they will all go well! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment